Khichidi with Bacon Tadka
There's no better comfort food for a rainy day than some khichidi. But you know what's even better than khichidi? Dal with a bacon tadka. 🥓🥓🥓🥓
1 cup dal
Ghee/ Bacon Fat
Bacon Thecha Red
Crushed dried fenugreek (methi)
- Rinse 1 cup tuvar dal or arhar dal (split & husked pigeon pea lentils) for a couple of times in water. Add them to a 3-litre pressure cooker.
- Add the chopped onions, tomatoes, green chilies and 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger to the cooker.
- Add (amount) of water, along with the turmeric and the Asafoetida. Mix well.
- Pressure cook the lentils for about 7 to 8 whistles or more till they become soft and creamy.
- Add coriander and salt to taste. Mix well until you achieve the desired consistency.
- Add 4 tbsp of Bacon Fat/Ghee into a small pan and place it on a medium heat.
- Add the cumin seeds and let them toast
- Add the garlic, chillies and bacon thecha to the pan.
- Let it change colour
- Add the chilli powder, hing and methi to the tempering.
- Pour the tempering to the Dal and mix well
- Serve the dal with a garnish of coriander.